As AI continues to advance, new apps are continually being developed and existing ones are being enhanced to help improve our cognitive abilities. These apps enhance human cognitive capabilities, including problem-solving, planning, learning, reasoning, and creative thinking including the following:
- Elevate: This app uses cognitive training methodologies to enhance critical cognitive skills like focus, memory, processing speed, math skills, and more. It uses AI to tailor your daily workouts.
- Lumosity: Like Elevate, Lumosity uses gamified cognitive training exercises. The training is personalised based on baseline testing and ongoing performance metrics.
- Cogito Companion: This app uses AI to analyze voice and behavioral signals in phone conversations, providing feedback about the user’s emotional health.
- Duolingo: Uses AI to provide personalized language learning experiences, adapting to the learner’s speed and offering appropriate challenges.
- Quizlet: Quizlet uses AI in its Learn and Match features to help students study more efficiently, tailoring the learning process to individual progress.
- Babylon: Babylon’s AI system has been designed to assist healthcare providers in diagnosing and treating illnesses, helping to make the healthcare process more streamlined and efficient.
- Notion: Notion uses AI to help manage and prioritize tasks, aiding in decision making and task organization.
- Headspace: While it’s a mindfulness and meditation app, Headspace employs AI to tailor content to the individual, aiding in stress management, which in turn can improve cognitive function.
- Muse: This app works with a wearable EEG device that provides real-time feedback on brain activity during meditation, aiding in self-regulation and focus.
- n-Back: This is a cognitive training program intended to improve your working memory and fluid intelligence. The difficulty of the task is automatically adjusted to match your performance.
With that said, they do not replace the need for us to engage actively in cognitive tasks themselves. As they say, if we don’t use it, we lose it.