There is nothing better than SOCIAL PROOF or influence to grow your business.
The phrase social proof, was coined by Robert Cialdini in his 1984 book Influence, which describes the psychological and social phenomenon wherein people copy the actions of others in an attempt to undertake behavior in a given situation.
Social Proof is Power
Although there are a small percentage of early adopters — those that buy the latest in everything just because it’s new — most people want to see testimonials from people who’ve used and are happy with the products and/or services you offer, before they buy. That’s why coming up with strategy to garner and get happy customers to become ambassadors for you and share is critical.
There is no better ambassador than your best client
When it’s your great customers who are providing the social proof, it’s even better, because chances are, they are connected to other people that will make great customers.
How do you turn your customers into ambassadors?
The list is endless, and of course every business is different, however here are some ideas to start:
- Amazing customer experience — Under promise, over deliver
- Ask for feedback — Ask for the good, the bad and the ugly
- Loyalty programs — Give customers reasons to stay loyal
- Referral programs — Encourage customers to refer you
- Personalize — Show people you appreciate them by personalizing your service. One size does not fit all
- Show Appreciation — Gifts, referrals, recommendations, thank you notes, special ocassions
- Create value through cost — People don’t value things that are free
- Honesty — Admit your mistakes and don’t break trust
- Provide value — Let them know about news they need to hear or competitor info
- Recommendation strategy — Ask for recommendations (and to share them)
Anything you think should be added to the above list?
Please do add it in the comments below.