What is Startup Canada?
Start Up Canada is a grassroots network of entrepreneurs working together to build an environment for entrepreneurship in Canada that was founded in May 2012. It has quickly become the most recognized, energized and active entrepreneurship organization in Canada and has mentored more than 20,000 Canadians and has grown to 20 Startup Communities representing more than:
✔ 80,000 entrepreneurs
✔ 400 enterprise support partners
✔ 300 volunteers
What’s in it for Durham Region entrepreneurs?
Seems to me that Start Up Canada fills a lot of gaps and brings a lot to the table e.g.
- Driven by entrepreneurs which means the entrepreneurial agenda (not those funding it) will be 100% of the agenda
- Is membership driven so communication between government and our partners will be more fluid
- It is free and therefore can be inclusive
- Provides a nucleus for startups and will highlight the fine work that BACD, Spark Centre and the various Boards of Trades and Chambers of Commerce are doing.
- National exposure no other current organization provides and our support partners will value
- Mentorship opportunities / platform
- Entrepreneurial Awards
- Grants / Kick start programs
- Turnkey events including “day on the hill” that provides exposure the people leading our country
- Central calendar for all business events, something I’ve been advocating for since 1996 when I first became aware of the gap and the reason I created this group.
- More [SEE: http://www.startupcan.ca/]
What gaps do you see for entrepreneurs in Durham Region?
I’d love to know what you’d like to see for entrepreneurs in Durham Region and to hear how you feel about creating a Start Up Community in Durham Region. Good idea? Bad idea? Please add your comments in the comments below.
Want to be involved?
Join me and five others that feel this is an idea worthy of further discussion on August 18th at 5pm at BACD (Business Advisory Centre Durham), 3000 Garden Street, Suite 200, Whitby and let’s discuss Start Up Canada and other things we can do to make Durham Region a better place for entrepreneurs.